Shri Adi Shankaracharya is the first Shankaracharya on earth, who united all Hindu’s across the country when the time of anarchy, superstition, & zealotry was at the peak across India. Adi Shankaracharya is a great scholar, a blessing to our religion & to our country, he founded Advaita Vedanta, & restored Hindu Vedic Dharma to its utmost dignity & purity.
Life sketch of Adi Shankaracharya Ji
- Shri Adi Shankaracharya was a blessing of Lord Shiva in the form of super scholar to a Brahmin family, Kerala, India.
- At age of 2, he could speak & write Sanksrit language.
- At age of 4, he recited Vedas.
- At age of 8, he left his home & walked 2000 km in search of his Guru (teacher).
- During age of 12-16, he scripted 18 commentaries, 12 major Upnishads, 72 devotional hymns (stotram) of Hindu religion.
- He also composed 23 books on Advaita Vedanta.
- After that, he gathered disciples and started walking across the longitude & latitude of India to re-establish the Hindu religion in its purest glory & integrity.
- He established 4 Matha (ashrams) & 4 Dhaam Yaatra (Badrinath, Rameshwaram, Dwarka, Puri) to spiritually unite the Hindu’s across India by keeping aside the cultural difference of North India & South India, East India and West India.
- He started the tradition of Kumbh Mela to integrate millions of Hindu’s spiritually.
- He founded 12 Jyotirlingam (the most pious pilgrimage to attain blessings from Lord Shiva) across India.
Legends of Adi Shankaracharya Ji
Shower of Golden Amla: At age of 7, while asking for alms from a very poor lady, who could only give one Amla fruit (the only thing she had in house) to Shankaracharya Ji. He was deeply touched with her intention and honesty, he invoked Goddess Lakshmi by reciting Kanakdhaara Stotram. Inturn, Goddess Lakshmi showered golden Amla in her house.
Sannyasa (Relinquishment): Once a crocodile hold one leg of Shankaracharya Ji while bathing in river, the mother was helpless. Shankaracharya Ji asked his mother if she wants her son alive, she should permit him for Sannyasa. The mother agreed. Inturn, he promised her to come back during her last days & perform her final rites.
Changing River direction: Shankaracharya’s Ji mother had to go very far to take bath in Purna river. Once she was lying unconscious, exhausted. He prayed to Lord & the river started flowing near his house from next morning.
Blessings of Guru Govindapada: Once during flood, Narmada river’s water was about to enter the cave where his Guru was in deep meditation. Shankaracharya Ji kept his kamandalu at the entrance of cave, that absorbed all the flood water, hence protecting his Guru. In turn Guru Govindapada Ji blessed him and motivating him to write commentaries explaining the essence of Vedantic scriptures to attain eternal glory.
Final rites of mother: When he was in North India, he got to know of his mother’s impending death. He travelled to South India in no time via air using spiritual powers. His relatives did not help him to do her final rites as he was a Sannyasi who is not allowed to do final rites. He used plantain stalks to make a funeral pyre and placing his mother’s body on it, sprinkled some water on it after chanting mantra’s. At same moment, pyre caught fire and he completed his mother’s final rites without help.